The FBI is releasing surveillance photographs from a robbery in Sunrise on Tuesday with the hope someone will recognize and report the suspects. The hold up happened around 11:30 a.m. at the City County Credit Union branch on the 8800 block of Northwest 44th Street, agents said.
The two robbers entered the credit union, pulled out a weapon, demanded money from a teller then ran off with an undisclosed amount of cash. There were people in the credit union at the time, some were lying on the floor, but there were no reports of any injuries, the FBI said (Source and full story
According to the Uniform Crime Report, robberies of the person make up for approximately 75% of all robberies. The remaining 25% are of establishments and banks (source
There is over a 60% chance that you will be facing a weapon when robbed. That is however, a statistical norm across all types of robbery. The odds of facing a weapon go up significantly if you are being robbed by only one person. Strong armed tactics tend to be the domain of the pack, the individual mugger tends to prefer weapons - and guns are the most common.
While all robberies are felonies, the use of a weapon tends to bring about stiffer penalties. While all robberies are considered violent crimes, it is not uncommon for states to upgrade the class of felony if a weapon is used in the commission of a robbery. That means the person who is robbing you is risking a much greater prison sentence if he is caught and convicted. And this doesn't bother them.
The weapon of choice is a gun. It is fast, easy to get and, since most robberies happen at point blank range, requires very little training to hit the target. All the robber has to do is point in the general direction and pull the trigger until either he runs out of bullets or you are on the ground screaming in pain. Guns
make up for 40% of all robberies with knives and other weapons making up another 20%. Again these numbers are a national average that incorporate every kind of robbery.
Needless to say, guns, knives and other weapons make up a hundred percent of all ARMED robberies. And weapons are the norm for robberies of establishments.
West Palm Beach Weapons Charges Defense Attorney
At the law firm of Andrew D. Stine, P.A. in West Palm Beach, we represent people arrested on weapons charges, including:
- Carrying a concealed weapon
- Improper exhibition of a weapon
- Aggravated assault with a deadly weapon
- Aggravated battery with a deadly weapon
- Possession of a weapon by a convicted felon
- Firing or shooting an object into an occupied building
In Florida, many weapons charges
are subject to mandatory minimum prison sentences of at least three years. Even if you are not facing prison time, a conviction on a weapons charge could have a very negative effect on your life. Most employers do not want to hire an employee with a criminal record. Florida landlords conduct background checks of prospective renters, so a conviction could also affect your ability to rent an apartment.
Many weapons cases can be resolved without a criminal record if your lawyer has you immediately perform community service, complete a weapons class, and apologize to the victim (if there was one). It is essential that the state's charging attorney understand who you really are, while providing evidence that shows you are much more than what the law enforcement agent makes you out to be.
If you are not guilty of the charge, lawyer Andrew Stine
can attack the government's case. There are many defenses an experienced lawyer can use in a weapons case, including self defense, false allegation, false identification, entrapment, and improper search and seizure of the weapon. In some cases, the act you are charged with may not even be illegal. For example, if the butt of a handgun sticks out of your pocket and is visible, you cannot be charged with concealing a weapon.
Being proactive in a weapons case can often make the difference between facing felony or misdemeanor charges, or whether any charges are filed at all.Free consultation 24/7:
Call West Palm Beach criminal defense lawyer Andrew D. Stine, P.A. at (561) 832-1170. Se habla español.