Palm Beach County Computer Crimes
Computer crimes, cyber crimes or Internet crimes – are a growing problem in Palm Beach County. As more people use the Internet, more people are being charged with these crimes. Some activities have recently been criminalized. Here are the two major categories of computer crimes you should be aware of:
Crimes that target computer networks directly.
(These are considered by some to be victimless crimes.)
- Malware – This stands for malicious software. It is software designed to infiltrate a computer system without an owner’s consent.
- Computer Viruses – A computer program that can copy itself and infect a computer.
- DoS Attacks (Denial of Service) – An attempt to make a computer resource unavailable for its intended use.
Crimes that are facilitated by computers but the targets are individuals.
(These crimes victimize people – especially children.)
- Cyber stalking – The use of the Internet or other electronic devices to stalk and harass an individual, a group of individuals, or a business.
- Internet Fraud – Any type of fraud that uses an online service to make fraudulent solicitations, conduct fraudulent transactions or transmit proceeds of a fraud to a financial institution.
- Identity theft – Fraud that involves someone pretending to be someone else in order to steal money or get benefits.
- Phishing – An attempt to acquire confidential information like usernames, passwords and credit card numbers by pretending you are a trustworthy entity.
- Child pornography – Images, film or writing with sexually explicit activities involving a child or minor.
- Child grooming – Actions deliberately taken to befriend and establish an emotional connection with a child in order to engage in child sexual abuse. This is also used to lure children into child prostitution or child pornography.
Child pornography and child grooming are the two areas of computer crime that Palm Beach County law enforcement and government agencies are aggressively pursuing. Many local police departments have Internet task forces that use Geo Tracking and IP routing to investigate violators. And even if you think you deleted something from your computer, experts can retrieve incriminating evidence from your hard drive.
Getting Arrested for Internet Fraud in Palm Beach County
Charges of using the Internet to commit fraud can come from online investments or pyramid schemes. An experienced Internet crimes defense attorney will examine the evidence to see if law enforcement agencies engaged in illegal entrapment.
Getting Arrested for Child Pornography in Palm Beach County
You can be arrested for downloading obscene material like child porn, or having it in your possession. An experienced Internet crimes defense attorney may be able to prove that the material is not “obscene” or the wrong person was arrested or the evidence was illegally confiscated and is inadmissible.
Getting Arrested for Child Grooming or Online Child Solicitation in Palm Beach County
When investigating charges about an online solicitation of a minor, a skilled computer crimes defense attorney will evaluate the methods law enforcement agencies used in obtaining evidence. These charges often result from online conversations with undercover agents in a chat room. An experienced Internet crimes lawyer may be able to prove that this was illegal entrapment.
Computer crimes are becoming more and more common. If you have been charged with a crime like this in Palm Beach County, hire an attorney who is skilled in both real world crimes and virtual world crimes, too.